Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day

Today is Mother’s Day. It is a day that I am somewhat fearful of because I am not a mother and I do not have a mother.

It wasn’t always so with me. I once was a mother. My only child, my daughter Jennifer Lee Lemmer was born on October 16, 1973. I loved that first Mother’s Day in 1974! Sadly, it was my last time to celebrate. Jennie died on October 16, 2004. It was her first birthday and my 29th birthday.

But I still had a mother. Patricia Lee Rossiter was perhaps not the very best mother in the whole world but she was MY mother so that made her the best with me. I loved her dearly. After a deathbed change of heart to embrace Jesus Christ as her personal Savior, she died on March 3, 1987, just six days after her 61st birthday. I am now older than my mother ever lived to be.

So those two short lived lives have made Mother’s Day very difficult for me, even though Jennie died 33 years ago and my mother died 20 years ago. My heart still yearns and breaks for them and I look forward to the day when we will be reunited at the feet of Jesus.

Eleven years ago I became a stepmother to Bob’s son, Dave, who I fondly call “our son.”
Dave is married now and has made me a grandmother to three beautiful grandchildren; Jacob (5), Karly (3) and Nicholas (8 months.) I love Dave and I love the kids and being “grandma” suits me just fine.

This Mother’s Day started as so many others have with thoughts of Jennie and my mom going through my head. However, today, God reminded me that while being a mother and having a mother are truly important, the most important thing is LOVE!

My dear friend Cyndi has three incredible children. They all give me big hugs when they see me. Today her oldest daughter, Rachel, held my hand while we walked through the church looking for my Prayer Book. This afternoon while at a concert one of her twins, Rebecca, sat on my lap and cuddled with me. The other twin, Jonathan, gave me a big hug when he saw me. I felt incredibly loved today.

God, from His heaven, hugged me today and I was surrounded by the mystery of all that He is. Happy Mother’s Day!

No comments: