Monday, May 14, 2007

Blessed St. Paul Had It Right!

In his first Epistle to the Corinthians Paul says….(KJV)

For as the body is one, and hath many members,
And all the members of that one body,
Being many, are one body: so also is Christ,

For the body is not one member but many.
If the foot shall say, because I am not the hand
I am not of the body; is it therefore
Not if the body?

And if the ear shall say, Because I am not
The eye, I am not of the body; is it
Therefore not of the body?

If the whole body were an eye, where were
The hearing? If the whole body were hearing,
Where were the smelling?

But now hath God set the members everyone of
Them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
(15:12, 14-18)

Since by days at Florida Bible College I have understood what his words meant concerning the church. However, it wasn’t until today that I realized it could also pertain to our own physical body.

Today, I was without the left tip of the index finger on my right hand. Unless you have ever been without that particular part of your body you have no idea how necessary it is to the whole! My index finger has been missing its left tip and has become extremely painful. My middle finger is stressed because it is being used to type letters it never had to before. My entire right hand us miserable because the index finger is in pain and the middle finger is stressed. My right arm is sore because of all of the above. It goes on and on. Obviously it did not please God for us to be without the left tip of our right index finger which is why He gave it to us!!

I was without the tip of my finger because last night while cutting material for a quilt using a rotary cutter (with a fresh blade) I sliced off said tip. It was very dramatic. Blood was everywhere, I was screaming and my husband had no idea what to do. I KNOW that when cutting material I must “stay in the moment.” Last night I was not “in the moment.” Instead, I was thinking about my rector and his leaving the church in a few months. Out of the moment and off with the finger!

Do you know how difficult it is to work the mouse with your right hand when you can’t use your index finger?

2 comments:

Daniel Martins said...

Ouch!!! As the rector referred to in your post, I feel especially bad. I know you have absolved me, but still... Did you go to the ER? Can't they re-attach it, or are you permanently disfigured? Again, I say, "Ouch!!"

DearestDragonfly said...

What a great and deep post!!!... 'fleshing out' a familiar passage and delivering it in personal & concrete terms.

I could see the blood and feel the pain...and felt very 'part of the body'.

I hope you are OK. Do you need a skin graft?