Monday, September 8, 2008

Friendship

Over the last three months I have learned several new lessons about friendship. Some of them have been pretty hard to take and others have really lifted my spirits.

Perhaps I should start with my dismissal from the job and I have held and loved for the past 10 years. ON my 10th anniversary (6/4/08) I was fired. I had no idea it was coming. One minute I was counseling with someone whose husband had recently died and within 20 minutes I was gone...banished from the building...told not to return for my belongs (I had a lot of stuff there after 10 years) until the "investigation" had taken place and I was called.

My first lesson on friendship came rapidly...my "roommate," the incredible person I had shared an office with for many years immediately called my cell phone and said she would meet me for lunch. She came to the restaurant and said all the wonderful things a friend should say at that time and in that situation. She definitely made me feel better. She fulfilled the saying "a friend in need is a friend indeed!"

Life is kind of a blur after that. I was called the next day, told the "investigation" was completed and told to come into the office at 2:00 p.m. In I went at 2:00 p.m. along with my dear husband and an attorney that I had never met...but had called in desperation. It was all over in a matter of minutes. Sign here....sign here...sign here...here is your final check...turn in your ID badge...and, by the way, we are firing you because we understand you had a dog at one of the support groups. If you think you just read that line incorrectly please know that you did not. That was my demise after 10 years of working many, many hours, facilitating sometimes 3 support groups in the evening every week and working many Saturdays! (By the way, I did have Barclee at a group so I was "guilty as charged!")

Now comes my second lesson about friendship...beside being my lover, my husband, my confident...my husband, Bob, is even more importantly my dearest and best friend. he was (and is) incredible! He said terrible things about my employer (yes!), said wonderful things about me (yes!) and assured me that everything was going to be just find and that in time we would look on this time as just a little "bump in the road!" He said lots more wonderful things too but they all proved to me beyond a doubt that I married a pretty terrific guy!

And therein ended my positive lessons about friendship...at least from people I thought were friends. One person that I thought I was very close to did, in fact, call and tell me that she couldn't talk to me because no one was to have contact with me from "there." I never heard from her again.

People I had lunched with, stayed late with, helped out and who had helped me out...they were no where to be seen...or heard from. I guess they proved the saying "out of sight, out of mind!" I still haven't heard from them...3 months later...and my bet is that I never will again.

However, I have a "new friend" that I met in March through my blog. She lives in Virginia and I have never met here...but she wrote some of the most encouraging emails that I have ever received and her words truly helped heal my heart. She proved the saying "there is no distance too great between friends for friendship gives wings to the heart!"

So, I think that at the age of "almost 63" I have finally understood the difference between "friends" and "acquaintances." I have a long list of "acquaintances" (although the list is getting much smaller!) and a very short...but very meaningful...list of people I can truly call "friends." I am grateful for the lesson. I am grateful for those who cared enough about me to console me and to stand by me and I don't care if my friend list is shorter than I ever imagined.

And, perhaps most importantly, I have learned, in a whole new way, the kind of friend I need to be to others. With God's help I hope I can live up to this lesson!

And by the way...Bob was right. Things have worked out in a very positive way! God is good...all the time!

3 comments:

catsinger said...

...sorry to hear that you've had such a difficult thing to deal with...

I lost my Robbie cat[he was 19] on August 4... so I understand your sorrow...

glad you're back blogging...
I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't write...

Anonymous said...

Hugs, friend!

:D

The Calico Quilter said...

They fired you because you brought a dog to a counseling group? What? Are these people nuts? What kind of draconian rules do they have that this is a dismissable offense?

OK, now that I have that off my chest!

It's upsetting to discover that people you spent 8+ hours with each day are not really friends. You talked with them, ate with them, shared problems and joys -- and when you leave, they just evaporate. It's always amazing to me when I see another example of just how fickle people are. I retired last year, and haven't heard a single word from the people I worked with for years. I don't know what the answer is, but you seem to be coping with everything in a very healthy way.