Wednesday, September 10, 2008

the Joy of a New Language!!

About three weeks ago I started to participate in an activity that required learning a new language! Although not a "language" from a foreign country...it was certainly new to me! Now the words are all in the dictionary but I have learned them to mean a whole bunch of different things.

My new favorite in "down dog!" If I were making a dictionary I would put in a picture like this:


I would never have imagined that my body could do this but since starting yoga classes I can actually put myself in this position without a problem. I also "enjoy" the "cat to cow" position as I exhale on "cat" and inhale on "cow" What fun!

Of course I cannot deny that by the end of the hour, my most favorite position is "corpse!"

Going to a yoga class every morning has really helped change my outlook on life and on myself. I no longer care what people think about me! There is no "competition" in the class. If you can't do a pose the exact way the instructor does it then you just "adjust" and do it in a way that is comfortable for you. I don't even care if I am (obviously) the "heaviest" person in the class. I do what I can do and it is good for me!
I have even felt my spine grow over these 3 weeks! I can do "Monkey" and "Warrior One" and " Warrior Two" and "Sunflower" and "Half Moon" and Monday I even learned "Flamingo!" Now none of this may sound like a "new language" to anyone reading this but trust me, none of those words mean what you might think they mean when you are in a yoga class!
I have come to realize that I can probably do whatever I set my mind to do. Trying for "down dog" has taught me that. During the first week of class I just looked at the other students and wondered how in the world they ever got in that pose and stayed there...'cuz I knew I never could! And then, during the second week... I just did it. Like "Nike!" Wow, did I feel good about myself!
If you have wandered on this post and have never tried yoga I strongly suggest you give it a try! If nothing else, it will teach you how to breathe and to relax...even if you never do a "down dog!!"

3 comments:

Miz Minka said...

How wonderful!!! I'm so glad you discovered yoga. It's the great spine-rejuvenator, and all the rest of one's body benefits too.

For me, downward facing dog is tied for favorite with the half-spinal twist (or sometimes called just spinal twist).

And I prefer to refer to the "corpse pose" with what my first yoga instructor called the "sponge pose" instead. Just lying there and absorbing all the peace and good health... :)

Namaste!

Anonymous said...

More power to you both! Perhaps I can rev myself up for this ,,,, will have to see where I'd need to go and if arthritis would deal me out.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.