Saturday, June 23, 2007

An Encouragement to Love and Spoil!



Christy Actually Awake! (Kind of!)



During the last week, Christy, my very old "dorkey Yorkie" developed an "itchy rash" which has caused her to spend a lot of her awake time chewing on herself. She has had this itchy rash before so I called the vets office to get a refill of her medicine. I was told that medications can't be refilled without a "vet visit" (which therefore gives me the opportunity to pay $41.00 for the office visit AND the prescription refill!)


Since I work during the week I had to wait to get a Saturday appointment. Actually, my favorite vet there is Dr. McK and she only works on weekends anyway so it was all for the best.


As mentioned in a previous blog, Christy is a "pet shop" dog and therefore has always been much larger (fatter!) than a regular Yorkie (like Mousie). At her peak of "fatness" she weighed a little over 14 pounds...way over 14 pounds! Today they weighed her and she came in at about 8.7 lbs. I knew she had lost a lot of weight but close to half was a little scary.


Dr. McK finally saw us after almost an hour wait! She was surprised to see how little Christy has become. I told her why we were there and while I was telling her about Mousie I could see her gently running her hands over Christy and I watched her face as she went over and over Christy's tummy. When I finished talking I said "what did you find?" She then told me the words I most certainly did not want to hear "Christy has a very large tumor on her liver...about the size of a tennis ball."



I was then waiting for her to tell me the dreaded words "it's time to let her go." I wasn't ready for that and thankfully I did not hear them. Instead she told me to take Christy home and love her and love her and then love her some more. It's time to spoil her...feed her whatever she wants whenever she wants it! (Even though Christy is deaf her ears seemed to come up when Dr. McK said that!). When I asked about how long she might have to enjoy all this love and spoiling, the answer was "until she dies." Okay, I can deal with that. At least she didn't say "next week" although I am well aware it could be..."until she dies."



So I share my story with whoever might happen upon this blog. I'm going to be kind of busy from now on loving and spoiling Christy so this might be my last blog entry for a while. Christy has been my sweet baby since December 1991 when my late husband, Chuck, brought her home to me as a Christmas present all tucked up in his jacket! She was with me when my older Yorkie, Sasha, died. She was with me when Chuck died. She was with me when Mousie died. She moved from Chicago to Lodi with me. When I met her she was 14 weeks old and I was 46. Now she is 15 years, 9 months and 16 days old and I am 61+. We have a lot of history together and I intend on making our last "whatever" as special as possible.



I feel so sorry for those poor souls who don't believe in "doggy heaven" because there surely is one. All my beloved pets are there along with millions and billions of others. God certainly loves all His creatures from the slimy snail to my wonderful Mousie and Christy!



Praise God forever and ever and ever! Amen


2 comments:

Miz Minka said...

Oh Lee, I'm so sad for you!! You and Christy will be in my thoughts and prayers. We'll miss your blog posts, but Christy needs you now. I hope you continue to make lots of beautiful memories with her; I know I did the year I lost two beloved pets to cancer and one to kidney failure. It was a terribly draining time, but I was grateful that I was able to lavish lots of love and attention on each one as they were ending their time with me. Hang in there.

Love, Miz Minka (A fellow animal lover who believes that our loving God cares enough about His little creatures that He has room for them in his infinite heaven too.)

DearestDragonfly said...

I'm so glad I got to see precious Christy. So tiny, vulnerable - but absolutely adorable.

Enjoy the therapy of totally spoiling her!!!

I feel I'm doing that a bit with our house as we fix it up. Soon...we will 'die to it' and it will pass on to someone else. But I'm loving the living care right now.